Location: Estevan, SK
Fuel source: Coal
Net capacity: 276 MW
Advanced Environmental Design
- The LIFAC (Limestone Injection into the Furnace and re-Activation of Calcium) system, which uses powdered limestone (sorbent) and water to remove sulphur dioxide emissions.
- The finely-tuned burner temperature and air quantity reduces nitrogen oxide formations by up to 50 per cent. Nitrogen oxide contributes to acid rain and smog.
- A closed-loop, zero-discharge water management system ensures the water used will not be discharged into the environment, except through evaporation.
- A high-efficiency electro-static precipitator (ESP), which acts as a giant dust collector to trap over 99 per cent of the fly ash before it leaves the power station’s stack
- A state-of-the-art computer control system that ensures the station runs as efficiently as possible
Book a tour
Call Estevan Tourism at 1(306)634-6044 or call Shand directly at 1(306)-634-1700. Please allow us one week’s advance notice for your requested tour date.
In a thermal power station, fuel (coal or natural gas) is burned in a boiler to convert water to steam.