Saskatchewan is Canada’s largest power line network with over 110,000 kilometres of overhead line. A lot of our network was built in the 1950s and 60s. This means a lot of it needs to be replaced soon, and we need to prioritize what we work on first.
There are many factors to consider when it comes to the priority of projects.
A few factors include:
- Chances of an outage given the condition/age of equipment
- The number and type of customers that could be impacted by an outage
- Potential risks to public or employee safety given condition of equipment
- Historical number of outages in the area
- Environmental/security impacts
- Potential for efficiencies (e.g. coordinate with fellow Crowns and urban/rural municipalities on other projects in same area)