Where: Gull Lake, SK
Fuel source: Wind
Power capacity: 11 megawatts (MW)
Facts about the Cypress Wind Power Facility
- This was the first wind facility built by SaskPower.
- There are 16 turbines in total:
- Cypress I – We built 9 wind turbines that could produce a total of 6 MW of power in 2002.
- Cypress II – 7 wind turbines were added in 2003. Together, they produce 5 MW of power.
- Each turbine produces 0.66 MW of power.
- The blades spin at a speed of 28.5 turns per minute when they produce power. Each turbine blade is 47 metres long.
- The turbines turn between wind speeds of 15 km/h and 90 km/h.
- Each tower is 50 metre high. That’s equal to a 12-story building!
- All the turbines were manufactured by Hitachi Canadian Industries Ltd. in Saskatoon.
- The Government of Canada has provided funding through the Wind Power Production Incentive (WPPI) program. This includes:
- $2.6 million in funding for 10 years for Cypress I
- $1.47 million in funding for 10 years for Cypress II
See the Cypress Wind Power Facility
This facility is located about 12 kilometres southwest of Gull Lake.
We chose this location due to wind patterns, how close it was to the grid and road access.