Built: 1929 to 1930
Where: Churchhill River, SK
Fuel source: Hydro
Power capacity: 111 megawatts (MW)
Facts about the Island Falls Hydroelectric Station
- This station was originally built by the Churchill River Power Company Limited. They were a subsidiary of the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company (HBM&S).
- This hydro station was built to supply power for mining operations at Flin Flon.
- There are 7 units in total at this hydro station.
- The first 3 units were installed when the plant was built in 1929 and 1930.
- The fourth unit was installed in 1936 by the HBM&S. They also added 3 more units in 1938, 1947 and 1959.
- SaskPower bought the station in 1981. We took over operations in 1985.