1. What’s an NRCan-registered energy advisor?

The designation of energy advisor (EA) registered with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) means that a person has met and maintained all of the required qualifications to deliver EnerGuide rating services for eligible homes in Canada. A NRCan-registered EA can also add other NRCan services to their qualification, including the delivery of EnerGuide for Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURBs) and ENERGY STAR for New Homes. 

2. What background should I have if I want to take the training and become an energy advisor?

To be successful in the program, you should have at least basic arithmetic, geometry and computer skills, as well as industry knowledge of both home construction and energy efficient renovations for low-rise housing. Many energy advisors are current or former building contractors, engineers, architects, home inspectors, and building science experts. Please visit About Energy Advisors – CACEA for more information. 

3. Can I still apply for the program if I don’t have building knowledge?

We recommend you review How to become an NRCan-registered energy advisor and reference materials about building knowledge to determine if this program is right for you at this time. 

4. Is the training offered online or in-person?

The October 2022 session is in-person, in Regina. The winter 2022-2023 session is online.

5. Do I have to finish all courses in one training session?

You don’t have to finish all courses in one training session. There will be 6 sessions provided over the next 3 years until March 31, 2025. You can take a few courses in one training session and take the rest in a later session. However, we recommend taking the required NRCan exams while the knowledge is fresh in your mind.

6. Do I need to pay for the courses?

If you’re a successful applicant, the costs of the courses are 100% covered.

7. Does SaskPower cover my travel expenses if I have to travel to take the in-person training?

Contact us to find out if you qualify for any travel expense reimbursement before attending the in-person training.

8. How many exams do I need to take to become a registered energy advisor?

You need to successfully pass 2 NRCan exams. This includes a Foundation Level Exam and Energy Advisory (House) Exam, as well as complete practical skills and probationary work with a Service Organization (SO) before being registered with NRCan as an energy advisor.

For more information, visit How to become an NRCan-registered energy advisor.

9. How many times am I allowed to take the exams? Will SaskPower reimburse the exam fees?

You can take the exams as many times as needed to pass. But we’ll only reimburse the fee for the first time you write the exam, regardless of whether you pass or fail. If you’re unsuccessful, you can re-take the exam at your own expense. Once you pass, you can continue to the next step in the program.

10. Will someone help me prepare for the exams?

The training courses are offered to help you prepare to take the Foundation Level exam. Additional coaching assistance and training will be available to you while preparing for the Energy Advisor (House) Exam.

11. Do I have to notify SaskPower of my exam results?

Yes, you’ll need to notify us of your exam results if you want to continue in the program. You can continue to the next step if you pass the exam. If you don’t pass the exam, you may take it again, and once passed can continue with the program. Please discuss your plans with us.

12. Can I still join the program if I’ve passed the Foundation Level Exam before the program starts?

Yes. However, we’ll only cover your training and exam fees incurred after you are accepted into the program.

13. Are the exams online or in-person?

The exams can be taken either online or in-person.

Visit the NRCan Exam Site to sign-up for your account to take the exams. Learn more about the NRCan's energy advisor exams, including prices.

14. How many participants are you accepting for each training session?

Up to 15 spots will be available for each training session.

15. How many spots are available for participants from under-represented groups and under-served areas in the province?

We are targeting up to 25% of all course registration spots to participants from under-represented groups and under-served areas in Saskatchewan. Under-represented groups and under-served areas are:

  • Women
  • Indigenous peoples
  • Visible minorities
  • Persons with disabilities
  • LGBTQ2S+ persons
  • Newcomers
  • Remote and Indigenous communities

16. What is the Canadian Association of Consulting Energy Advisors?

Founded in 2017, the Canadian Association of Consulting Energy Advisors (CACEA) is a national association that promotes and supports energy advisors across the country.

They’re focused on:

  • elevating professionalism
  • leveraging opportunities for members
  • fostering collaborative relations with stakeholders in the building and energy sectors

Upon successful completion of the Foundation Level Exam, participants will receive a one-year membership with CACEA, paid for by us. 

17. What is a service organization?

A service organization is an independent organization licensed by NRCan to use NRCan’s official marks, software and to deliver NRCan’s home labelling initiatives such as the EnerGuide Rating System and ENERGY STAR® for New Homes.

Service organizations work with builders, energy advisors and homeowners across Canada to assess the energy performance and potential energy savings for homes during the design, construction and renovation stages. Service organizations may also work with provinces, territories, municipalities, utility companies, and other organizations as part of their own home energy efficiency labelling and/or retrofit incentive programming.

Express Yourself

This page makes me feel:
icon-express-yourself-inspired% INSPIRED
icon-express-yourself-informed% INFORMED
icon-express-yourself-unsure% UNSURE
icon-express-yourself-annoyed% ANNOYED
icon-express-yourself-frustrated% FRUSTRATED