We're adding to and making the power grid stronger in Regina’s downtown. This includes:
- Checking our underground systems
- Installing and maintaining duct banks (corridors for cables feeding to and inside the downtown area)
- Installing and replacing equipment and underground cables
- Conducting underground studies for engineering design work
Why We’re Doing It
This work will help make sure that customers in Regina’s downtown area have the power they need. These upgrades will also give us more visibility into the grid and help us find and restore power outages faster in the future.
Our Progress So Far
Over the past 5 years, we’ve invested more than $44 million in system improvements in central Regina. Since the project started in 2012, we’ve worked on:
- duct banks
- equipment switch upgrades
- technology upgrades
- retired old substations
- replaced underground cables
This year’s work will be underway from April to December 2023.
Minimizing the Impact to You
Some of this work will cause disruptions like:
- road restrictions
- planned power outages
We understand that power disruptions and construction activities can be annoying. We’re working closely with the City of Regina and other utilities to streamline the work. Our crews will do their best to inform you about the impacts of the work ahead of time.
Work will usually be scheduled Monday to Friday from 7 am to 7 pm. But there will be projects that need to continue into the weekend, or only be done on weekends.
We do this to reduce impacts to businesses, and make sure we can finish the work and get back to normal as soon as possible.
Respecting the Local Environment
Our crews will use safe handling methods when disposing of hazardous materials. But we expect no impact to the local environment.
Benefits to Local Communities
Doing this work will allow us to continue to provide reliable power to our customers in Regina.
The estimated cost of this program in 2023-24 is approximately $9 million.
Keeping you informed
For more information about this project, visit:
- Twitter.com/SaskPower for updates on planned outages
- The City of Regina for updates on road closures
- You can also sign up for outage notifications through your MySaskPower account or the SaskPower app
If you have any questions or concerns while construction is ongoing, please call 1-888-757-6937.