SaskPower is in the process of implementing a new Power Class Capacity Reservation Service (CRS) Rate Structure to accommodate industrial customers who want to self-generate the majority of their required power on site.
Our existing rates do not allow SaskPower to recover the fixed costs associated with having our company’s electricity system available to provide industrial self-generation customers with back-up and ancillary services. Without the new CRS rate, costs not recovered by our industrial self-generation customers must be borne by all other SaskPower customer classes.
To correct this, the Power Class Capacity Reservation Service rates have been implemented on an interim basis. A public review process will follow, led by an independent consultant, and monitored by the Saskatchewan Rate Review Panel, prior to a decision regarding final implementation.
Elenchus Research Associates was chosen for the review.
|Dec. 19, 2019
||Kickoff meeting (conference call) to outline scope of review|
|Feb. 24-28, 2020
||Elenchus presents draft report of their findings (in Regina).
Draft report will be posted on webpage when complete.
|Mar. 2-6, 2020
||Stakeholder questions related to CRS rates for Elenchus|
|Mar. 9-13, 2020
||Elenchus responses – all responses will be posted on webpage|
|Mar. 16-20, 2020
||Conference call hosted by Elenchus for follow-up questions|
|Mar. 31, 2020
||Final report submitted by Elenchus|
|Apr. 30, 2020
||Cabinet final decision|
Questions and answers about the
review and report.
Review Q&A (to come March 2020)
How the review process
- Start up conference call (December 19)
- Review SaskPower CRS rate designs and methodology (stakeholder input welcome)
- Review and propose methodologies on valuation of stranded assets due to customer self generation
- Review and summarize backup rate designs/policies in Canadian (and North American) jurisdictions
- Prepare/present a draft report to SaskPower and stakeholders, including the SRRP
- Responds to stakeholders’ written questions
- Technical conference call (if required) to address outstanding issues and clarify responses
- Submit final report to SaskPower