We’re building a switching station and a 23-kilometre (km) power line to connect the Blue Hill Wind Power Facility to our grid. Both the switching station and power line will have a 230-kilovolt (kV) capacity. We expect the project to be complete in summer of 2021.
Why We're Doing It
This project will help us move power where it’s needed by connecting:
- the Blue Hill Wind Power Facility to our grid
- the new switching station to the Pasqua to Swift Current line
This is one of the ways we can meet Saskatchewan’s growing need for power. And it supports our goals to add more renewable energy to our supply mix.
Our Progress So Far
- Two open houses in 2019 to collect feedback from stakeholders on the line route,
- An environmental assessment including soil and rock study of the route, and
- Securing an easement for the power line right of way.
Construction of the line and switching station is in progress.
Minimizing the Impact to You
Engaging with you is an important part of this process. It helps us understand your concerns, especially now that we have a preferred route. For the preferred route, we looked at:
- feedback from stakeholders
- impacts on land use
- environmental impacts
- technical needs, safety and efficiency
We’re working with affected rural municipalities and landowners to ensure safety and reduce impact to roads and nearby communities.
Respecting the Local Environment
Line construction is planned over the winter months. This will help reduce impacts to the environment, including:
- endangered species and their habitats
- sensitive landscapes like wetlands and native grasslands
Every power project we do, we follow our best-practice standards. This will help us protect the environment during all stages of the project. We've also checked in with the regulator, the Ministry of Environment. This ensures we're following all the proper processes and procedures as we build.
Benefits to Local Communities
This project will help provide reliable power to your home and community. It’ll also help reduce carbon emissions in the province.
Keeping you Informed
As we make progress on the project, we'll update this page.
You can contact Algonquin Power if you have questions about this wind facility.
For more details about our power line and switching station project:
- Presentation slides
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-833-223-3370 (toll-free in Saskatchewan)