We’re building a new 138 kilovolt power line and a switching station to support Prairie Green Renewable Energy’s (PGRE) operations. PGRE plans to build a biorefinery 25 kilometers southeast of Saskatoon. It will produce advanced fuel-grade ethanol and high-protein animal feed from a barley and pea feedstock blend. At the same site, PGRE will also operate a co-generation facility that will deliver, on average, 37 megawatts (MW) of power to our system – enough to power 35,000 homes.
The new switching station and power line, which will be about one kilometre long, will allow us to make this power available to our customers. These facilities will also allow us to supply power to PGRE’s biorefinery.
Our Progress So Far
We’re reaching out to stakeholders as we plan the station and the route for the new power line. As the project and our discussions with stakeholders continue, we hope to sign easements for a 30-metre right-of-way for the new line.
Construction of the station and line is expected to be completed by early 2024, and they are anticipated to be powered up by mid-2024.
Getting Your Feedback
We’ve reached out to the RM of Blucher and landowners in the area for feedback. We plan to continue those conversations as we plan and design the power line route.
If you have comments or questions about the project, please send us an email.
Respecting the Local Environment
We recognize that what we do today impacts our future. As we plan projects we:
- use various tools like databases, satellite imagery and field surveys to understand the environment
- ensure all protection standards are in place
- develop a plan to reduce or avoid impacts to rare and endangered species, habitats, sensitive landscape features or heritage resources
We’ll follow all applicable provincial environment assessment and approval processes.
Benefits to Local Communities
- The new co-generation facility will add, on average, an additional 37 MW of power to our system to meet growing demand in the province.
- The new power line and station will help bring the power to homes and businesses where it’s needed.
Keeping You Informed
We’ll keep you informed as we get updates. For more details about this project: