5 Questions about our CEA Sustainable Electricity Company (TM) Designation with Mike Marsh
November 13, 2019
- Receiving the CEA Sustainable Electricity CompanyTM Designation represents an important achievement for SaskPower. It tells us that our company is on the right track.
- More than ever, we need the environmental, economic and societal signposts of sustainability to guide us on our journey.
- Our efforts will be transparent – we’ll continue to release an annual Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report. This is to inform everyone on our accomplishments and challenges.
What is sustainability?
Sustainability means being committed to more than just keeping the lights on and watching the bottom line. Keeping sustainability front-of-mind provides the expanded focus. We need to make sure we are mindful of the:
- economic development
- our responsibilities to employees, customers, stakeholders
- Indigenous communities
It’s about creating a positive future for the next generation. That’s why we have it embedded in our company’s mission statement.
Our mission: ensuring reliable, sustainable and cost-effective power for our customers and the communities we serve.
What is the CEA Sustainable Electricity CompanyTM Designation?
The Sustainable Electricity Company™ brand is a designation established by the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA). This is based primarily on the ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility.
SaskPower is 1 of only 9 Canadian utilities that have achieved the designation.
An independent verifier confirmed that we:
- demonstrate conformance to the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard
- demonstrate compliance with ISO 26000 Social Responsibility guidelines
- have established a governance framework for social responsibility
We also have to report on our sustainability performance in a transparent manner. That’s why we’ve just publicly released the SaskPower 2018-19 Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report.
Why is the CEA Sustainable Electricity CompanyTM Designation important?
Receiving the CEA Sustainable Electricity CompanyTM Designation represents an important achievement for SaskPower. It tells us that our company is on the right track. We’re working to meet the needs of our customers today, while also creating a future of which we can be proud.
It not only signals SaskPower’s commitment to sustainability. It also sets a bar of achievement that must be maintained and even improved upon. More than ever, we need the environmental, economic and societal signposts of sustainability to guide us on our journey.
What is SaskPower doing to be more sustainable?
Utilities, and especially Crown utilities, play a special role in society. Our decision-making must consider the interests of:
- our company
- our stakeholders
- the public
- Indigenous communities
We are navigating an energy transition that will see the expansion of renewable generation and significant reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. We’re also prioritizing:
- Indigenous engagement
- stakeholder relations
- health and safety
- customer satisfaction
- climate change mitigation and adaptation
- infrastructure renewal
- employee engagement and training
- good governance
- sound fiscal practices
What are the next steps for sustainability at SaskPower?
As a member of the CEA Sustainable Electricity Program, we’ll continue to focus on continuous improvement and operational excellence. And also ensure the integration of sustainability across our company.
Our efforts will be transparent – we’ll continue to release an annual Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report. This is to inform everyone on our accomplishments and challenges. We’ll also continue to engage our employees and stakeholders, by focusing on the sustainability issues that matter to our company and to them.