SaskPower to Invest $9 Million to Upgrade Electrical Grid in Downtown Regina
May 12, 2023
With the onset of spring, SaskPower will begin work upgrading power infrastructure in Regina’s central business district to ensure continued reliability.
This approximately $9 million investment will involve replacing or removing equipment that has reached the end of its life, including underground cables and duct banks. Planned outages required to complete this work will be kept to a minimum, and any outages and traffic disruptions will be communicated ahead of time.
“Our construction work in downtown Regina will not only improve reliability, but will upgrade and modernize our infrastructure, which will make finding and repairing outages much faster in the future,” said Kory Hayko, SaskPower Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “Some of our work will require replacing or removing buried power lines, and to minimize impacts to residents, we’re collaborating with the City of Regina and other utilities to streamline work.”
Over the past five years, SaskPower has invested more than $44 million in system improvement in central Regina, which has resulted in a 15 per cent decrease in unplanned outages within downtown Regina.
Notable projects taking place between May and December include:
- Saskatchewan Drive: late April to early June
- Install duct bank and remove/replace underground cable
- 11th Avenue: May to October
- Install multiple duct banks, replacing streetlights, replacing underground cable
- McIntyre Street: mid-May to mid-October
- Install duct bank and new underground cable
- Alley north of Victoria Avenue: late September to end of December
- Repair underground conduits
For more information about this project, visit saskpower.com/reginadowntown.
At a glance...
- SaskPower will invest approximately $9 million to improve the electrical system in downtown Regina
- Work is underway and will continue until December
- Construction is being coordinated with the City of Regina and other utilities to minimize impacts
- SaskPower will be upgrading and modernizing equipment, improving reliability and making outages easier to locate and repair
- Learn more at saskpower.com/reginadowntown